Sinchi & Friends 64 features one of our favourite artists of the moment Sascha Funke. The prolific producer is a regular on revered labels such as Multi Culti, Endless Flight, Turbo, Kompakt and his ‘ Acatenango’ release on You and My Hippie Friends (The Hippie Dance sister label) has been one of our highlights of this year. Here he rustles up a classic club mix featuring some old and new techno rave hits with a little slice of breakbeats.
1)Who are you?
My name is Sascha Funke and I am a DJ and musician from Berlin.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Touring with the Fantastic Twins in Mexico, watching the football world cup with my 3 year old son, finishing my new release coming out on Multi Culti, together with Niklas Wandt.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
As mentioned, I will release a new single on Multi Culti together with Niklas Wandt. He has a band called Neuzeitliche Bodenbeläge on the label Themes For Great Cities, and also recently did a great album together with Wolf Müller. Beside the release on Multi Culti, there are a couple of remixes which are coming out soon.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
1/2 Gott – Die Nacht
It’s a new project of Sneaker DJ together with Scannoir from Zurich and will be released on Uncanny Valley on October 6. There is also another EP coming from them in early 2019 which will be called Gott.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Mattheis – Maass
I like all the stuff of Mattheis, but I find Maass outstanding.
6) What is the last record you bought?
Billy Nightmare – Reality Check (Dark Entries)
It’s a rerelease from the mid 90’s, originally released on Sounds records. It was one of my favourite techno labels at that time and I bought every single including the one from Billy Nightmare. After looking into my record collection I couldn’t find it anymore. So thanks to Dark Entries for the re-release.
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
– Profan Cologne
– Techno music from Berlin in 1992/93
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
A beer before a DJ set is not very spectacular but always does the job.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Yovav – Another new and very talented musician from Tel Aviv. Especially his EP on Dischi Autunno never left my record bag this year. On my podcast you can here a track from his new project called Plazmot, which he does together with Assaf Blom.
Sharif Laffrey – A producer and DJ from the Detroit. His track called Tangier on ESP Institute is one of my favourite club tunes this year. He also released on Discos Capablanca and his own label called Special Forces.
GK Machine – Label chef of Invisible inc. one of my favourite labels. Also producing under different alter egos such as Immaculate Rivombo, Strange Culture and also one half of Kommodo Kollektif.
10) What is your favourite and or Venue / Festival to play at and why?
The best party this year I had at Else in Berlin playing with Paulor, Fantastic Twins, and Pachanga Boys for the Hippie Dance Sunday.
11) Best advice for anyone coming into the scene, either as a Producer, DJ or Promoter?
Never think anything as already done. You’ll always find a way to create something new and fresh.
12) Do you think there is inequality in dance music, whether it is gender, sexuality or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
I think generally we are facing a period of unnecessary conflicts in our society in these days. With the modern communication tools everything gets too fast too hysteric and we are all loosing quite easy the respectable way of talking to each other and exchanging opinions. I don’t have a clue how we could change that situation.