Sinchi & Friends 61 is maybe a new name to many but one we’re sure you’ll be hearing much more, introducing Shubostar. Originally making a name herself in her home country of South Korea, her journey has taken her across Asia and now to Mexico. Her mixes span various genres but her great love and one we share is for Cosmic / Space Disco.
1) Who are you?
Hola! Hi! 안녕! I’m Shubostar DJ/Producer from Korea based in Mexico.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Started my own label ‘uju Records (우주레코드)’.
Sinchi actually premiered a track from our first EP ‘Estacion Espacial (Rigopolar Remix)’.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
The biggest news would be invited to play at Sisyphos, Berlin.
Plus I’m awaiting a remix of my track from Doctr for our 2nd label EP.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
All the tracks favourites but if I should choose one – ‘Black Body – Tomorrow Never Comes (Vocal Mix)’.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
It could be ‘Rigopolar – Start from beginning’.
I played it many times but I never get bored and everytime I play it in the club, It still gives me goose bumps.
6) What is the last record you bought?
‘Null + Void – Where I wait (The Hacker Remix)’ for this mix.
7) What drives you?
Responsibility. When I have a gig I always try to do my best for the person who booked me and those who come to see me. That’s why I listen more, prepare more. It’s pressure but always makes me better.
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
Toilet! Go to toilet, make my body empty(haha), Clean my mind too.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Rigopolar – The legend of cosmic acid+disco
Doctr – His music bring you to another dimension of tropical.
Mijo – La royale + Yesco + Mijo, he has many different faces but all good. Looking forward to see his next step.
10) What is your favourite and or Venue / Festival to play at and why?
M.n.roy in Mexico City!
Not only because I’m kind of a resident there but it always has a good vibe. People ready to dance people and respect. I get a lot of pleasure from playing long sets (like 4-5 hrs) there.
11) Do you think there is inequality in dance music, whether it is gender or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
I’ve heard so many times that “Its easy to be a DJ because you are a women. Female DJ is unique.” Fuck off. I want to say to them, Even if I was a man I’m still be in this position. This point of view should disappear.
12) What’s your opinion on the importance of roots , traditions, respecting originals and sources? Should all music be open source and open to editing or do you think cultural and artistic misappropriation is an issue?
No, the most important thing is good or not. For example, even though pizza started in Italy all countries make pizza now. No matter where it begins the most important thing is it tastes good.
Same for music. Our purpose is to reach ‘the best sound’.
13) Favourite writer / scientist / painter / philospher? Painter – Da ryung kim (Ryungda), Korea. She draws with traditional Korean material but her style is quite modern and cosmic, so it’s very unique. You can feel deep emptiness in the universe from her art.
14) Favourite out of genre music? I used to play classical guitar. I love classical music. Especially Tchaikovsky.
15) Favourite film score? It maybe too ordinary to say as a Korean. But ‘The Last Waltz’ from the movie ‘Old boy’. It’s my favourite. When I studied film scores, It was my dream track. Plus a special mention to ‘Francis Lai – Vivre Pour Vivre’.
16) Secret studio / DJ trick? Secret? Spend more time in studio than others.
17) Guilty Pleasure? When I get a bruise, I enjoy pushing them.
18)Favourite way to unwind? Go to grocery store and have a relaxed shop.
19) What makes you smile? The smile of my boyfriend