Sinchi & Friends 63 comes from DJ Collective and music platform whypeopledance. They are firm favourites of all music aficionados with a taste for the more experimental and as such we have been big fans and collaborators for a long time with music premieres going both ways on our respective platforms. As to be expected they provide a cracker of a mix in perfect timing for the weekend.
1) Who are you?
Hi, this is whypeopledance from Lithuania. Well, actually it’s Vilmantas (Serial Experiments) from the team here representing our whole platform. The full crew includes Monika Seta and original founders Karolis and Paulius.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
We’ve finished our event series in Kablys Club (in Vilnius) with Tolouse Low Trax and Cosmo Vitelli being our guests in the last events, and the new season is about to start very soon kicking off with Superpitcher. Our bandcamp label for free downloads MATERIA has also been gathering some attention too, which launched just a year ago.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
MATERIA has a lot more releases planned. One of the latest tracks has just premiered over here, at Sinchi too! There’s also a more physical thing in the works, so watch this space…
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
Probably the upcoming Niv Ast track from our MATERIA, the very first one in the mix.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Difficult to say just one, but one of the highlights is an unreleased Smagghe & Cross remix of Andy Butler, which has been appearing on every single set of ours non-stop.
6) What is the last record you bought?
I bought Geins’t Naït & Laurent Petitgand LP from Offen, my own personal favorite this year so far.
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
For me, it’s the electroclash movement from more than a decade ago that kickstarted everything, for Monika – disco and even earlier. Our founders even have some roots in the drum & bass scene, so it’s a great combination overall.
8) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Pletnev – still fairly unknown name, but with a big amount of releases (including his Ponty Mython alias) and an even larger case of unreleased goodies.
Rina – a guy from Tel Aviv with some top-notch unreleased bangers.
Interiors – our boss at Kablys Club, but also an ace DJ with always on-point selections.
9) What is your favourite and or Venue / Festival to play at and why?
Venue – definitely Kablys Club, you can’t find a better atmosphere in Vilnius, at least according to us. Also Yaga Festival has been a tradition for the last couple of years for us now and is one of the best experiences of the summer.
10) Best advice for anyone coming into the scene, either as a Producer, DJ or Promoter?
Be yourself, even if it means that you might lose out on some things.
11) Do you think there is inequality in dance music, whether it is gender, sexuality or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
Sure, but the situation is getting better by the day.
12) What’s your opinion on the importance of roots , traditions, respecting originals and sources? Should all music be open source and open to editing or do you think cultural and artistic misappropriation is an issue?
It depends it is a sticky subject – as huge fans of edits, obviously we don’t find much issue in most cases, however sometimes it can be straight up theft if not done properly. It’s just not easy to find an answer as every case is different.