Sinchi & Friends 62 sees the legendary Curses join us. Hot off a busy festival season and completing his latest album (which by the way, is pretty damn epic) he offers up a trademark slow & sludgy mix, in his own words ‘Slink into the swamp with a flashlight in the pitch black, eyes wide open’.
1) Who are you?
Ciao, sono Curses.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Finally finishing my album and sending it out into this wild and wicked world.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
Launching the ‘Romantic Fiction’ live show. First one will be Nov 10 at Opium club for BAD HABITS in Vilnius.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
The Balam remix of Marc Moon is a beast. It doesn’t feel 107bpm, its full of wiggly wonky goodness.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Alles from the invincible force of post-punk disco-techno bliss known as Perel
6) What is the last record you bought?
Death In June -‘Nada!’ on vinyl. Never owned this one on wax, so much happier as a human now.
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
The Cramps, Cabaret Voltaire, Front 242, Sonic Youth, Brian Eno, Wu-Tang Clan, Fugazi…
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing orstraight after?
Eat an entire lemon, drown out the ghosts.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Chinaski will be a legend soon.
Skelesys will shake graves with his guitar riffs.
Justine (Bagarre Perdue) will ignite fires now that she is also Djng.
10) What is your favourite and or Venue / Festival to play at and why?
WHOLE festival this year was incredible. Some of the very best queer parties and labels from around the world come together and throw this massive festival in an abandoned Iron mine called Ferropolis. The location feels like you are in a scene chopped from the first Blade Runner film. The vibe and music was on point, with meticulously curated underground performers and DJ’s.
11) Best advice for anyone coming into the scene, either as a Producer, DJ or Promoter?
Stick to your guns, don’t get distracted by whats currently popular.
12) Do you think there is inequality in dance music, whether it is gender or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
yes, but I see hope and people are finally starting to pay attention. Having conversations OFFLINE and in real life, that bring light on the inequality is a good start.
13) What’s your opinion on the importance of roots , traditions, respecting originals and sources? Should all music be open source and open to editing or do you think cultural and artistic misappropriation is an issue?
Its always important to understand and know the roots of each musical language. Music is something personal, and that should be respected.
Favourite writer / scientist / painter / philosopher? Umberto Boccioni, Balla, and the Italian Futurist movement.
Favourite out of genre music? Ambient
Favourite film score? Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass
Favourite bit of kit? Gated snare.
Secret studio / DJ trick? Sidechain is a trick. Master EQ levels instead
Guilty Pleasure? 80’s Latin Freestyle
One piece of music you can’t stand? anything by Maroon 5.
Favourite way to unwind? Negroni at sunset.