Lithuania’s Roe Deers joins the series featuring lots of new music coming from friends, 2 upcoming tracks on Nein from the man himself. He’s fast becoming a favourite of ours and this uptempo mix is perfect for the early summer season.
1) Who are you?
My name is Liudas, I’m 26 years old and I live in Vilnius. I’ve been DJing since I was 12 years old and I’ve been running the Roe Deers project for 4 years.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Signed 9 Roe Deers EP’s for 2018, started a new project called “Bad Habits” with my friend Titas and met a lovely lady called Bete.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
I have a new Sulk Magic Ep and later EP’s on Omnidisc, Rotten City Records and Nein Records. Plus a few more I want to keep secret for now. You’ll also see a bunch of remixes and edits.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
“Simple Symmetry – Exploding Toads Mystery” – I think it will be this summer’s hit.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Hard to pick a favourite track of dance music, but one of the most beautiful Ep’s this year is Elecdrones. We have their vinyl as a gift from Cologne, it’s amazing.
6) What is the last record you bought?
Two Man Sound vinyl! it’s comedy for dancefloor.
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
Sometimes you get your music influences from things not related to music or sound. Sometimes it can be funny parts from cartoons, next time it’s your friend weekend story, which could be new lyrics line for your track or just weed.
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
Just a casual DJ spa and sauna with Jeremy and others :DD
No, no rituals actually, just never be late, and not to drink too much before. My favourite part is picking the tracks at night in the studio. Dancing and singing alone!
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Bryan Kessler from Cologne – he is freak!
Asa Moto from Brussels – they have a really nice sound, so fresh!
Arthur Johnson from Brussels – you should follow him right now, his upcoming EP is gold.
10) What is your favourite and or Venue / Festival to play at and why?
Best place in Vilnius – Opium Club
Best place in Berlin – Renate
Best place for a festival in LT – Nida beach
11) Best advice for anyone coming into the scene, either as a Producer, DJ or Promoter?
Just be yourself, copy paste has already been done!
12) Do you think there is inequality or disbalance in dance music, whether it is gender or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
Would be nice just to separate fireworks shows and real DJ performances, big budget is not art.
13) What’s your opinion on the importance of roots , traditions, respecting originals and sources? Should all music be open source and open to editing or do you think cultural and artistic misappropriation is an issue?
I think its important to respect roots, not forgot where and how this church was built. But also not forget that time is moving forward and we have to create new things and continue to develop this culture.
14) Favourite out of genre music?
disco, rock, house, hip hop (till 00’s), electro clash, new wave, italo.
15) Secret studio / DJ trick?
In studio – midi guitars! some guys still think that I’m playing guitar, nope!
DJ – crazy dance behind the decks. No sync with music at all.
16) Guilty Pleasure?
17) One piece of music you can’t stand?
18) Favourite way to unwind?
Get lost in the woods.
19) If to live in a lost civilization or culture, which one would it be?
back to 70’s
20) What makes you smile?
Another smile, a nice melody, punchy bass, moments when we say “system is working”, 420 and those little random things which happen everyday.