The Sinchi & Friends mix series is back and has an amazing program of artists over the coming months. Kicking off with Berliner 22ROCKETS . In his own words ‘My podcasts often reflect the past, but I take time to work on them and get to know the producers and their abilities during nano-mixing’ . Tuck in and get to know the the DJ, Promoter and Taste Maker by reading below…
1)Who are you?
Hi, I am 22ROCKETS, part of the inventory of Berlin’s Salon – Zue Wilden Renate and hosting the Voyage Voyage events there together with my partner The Swift. Voyage Voyage is the bi-monthly transit zone party, running for 8 years now and part of a certain music scene.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Building my own studio with my good friend Rob, finally starting to work on my own music. Discovered new top notch Pizza places in Berlin.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
We’ve got awesome Voyage Voyage lineups coming, plus an open-air at ELSE (Renate’s sister open-air location) with Ivan Smagghe, Manfredas, Fantastic Twins (live), Autarkic, Moscoman and more… Save the date and come to Berlin on the 8th July 2018 !
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
There are 3 works/remixes from the modish king Curses in the mix. So I would say, he is the favourite artists in this one. And the “I Ran” Moscoman (Simple Symmetry Remix) is an emotional cuddle-song for everyone…
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Too many… but “Appollo 13 – We Have A Problem” (on Wikipedia) is a good tool 🙂
6) What is (were) the last record(s) you bought?
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
Everything influences one in its time.
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
Some minutes of silence before and after.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Olsvanger sounds promising, I like his musical expression. The new Bawrut’s 4×4 EP is a sonic genius. Deaf Chonky is a project I would like to invite as a live band – strong feelings.
10) What is your favourite Venue and / or Festival to play at and why?
WILDE RENATE and ELSE are always a home game. Never really had similar experiences of playing endless hour sets and creating this magic somewhere else.
11) Do you think there is inequality or imbalance in dance music, whether it is gender or race? If yes, what do think can be done?
I can’t say much about racist inequality concerning to dance music, my music love is global. The artists we are inviting are from all over the world, and in Berlin I personally never experienced any racists behaviour concerning to artists.
Its tough to put the gender topic into one sentence.
Lets say there is a higher number of male djs and producers in the world. 80% of them are not what I call good music, so the artist selection for my events is already smaller and focused on a certain scene. So if we say there is a lower number of female djs and producers in the world, my selection of course there will be way smaller in relation to the male artists. I don’t book female djs just because they are female and play whatever sound. The music we book is our own taste and quality statement. We try to always invite at least 1-2 female artists to every Voyage Voyage from our musical pool. I am always open to find promising artists regardless of gender.
12) What’s your opinion on the importance of roots , traditions, respecting originals and sources? Should all music be open source and open to editing or do you think cultural and artistic misappropriation is an issue?
I think it’s about recycling and being influenced and inspired by something. But in art in general you should know why you are using something, you should know the background in terms of the original works and be able to explain your reference. I have realised in recent years that there is a kind of colonialism in electronic music. They just take a South American or African folksong and put a 4/4 beat below. No news of course, I know… And many happy-naive faces on the dance floor … but it’s cheap and will not last forever. This is not art then, it is a theft.
Resident Advisor: https://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/22rockets
Voyage Voyage Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/voyage-voyage-berlin
Salon – Zur Wilden Renate: http://renate.cc