Sinchi & Friends 40 comes from Haules Baules . DJ , producer and label head, Logan is the real deal…a DJ’s DJ, known for his flawless mixing and track selections spanning many genres. We asked him about his mood for this mix…
‘I put this together after the mother of all party weekends in Paris with a bunch of close friends, so I needed to ease myself into the mix gently, before slowly getting a bit more intense. A few dubby and Italo influences, and not taking it too seriously.’
1) Who are you?
I’m Logan AKA Haules Baules
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Definitely playing at La Dame Noir in Marseille last month. Amazing club, with a super loose, up for it crowd and a real open hearted attitude.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
I’ve been a bit quiet on the production front of late, so getting some more records out is my focus this year.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
Difficult to say as most of the tracks are quite fresh and I need to live with them for a bit longer before any really stand out. The upcoming Weatherall mix of the Nancy Noise track is a bit special though.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
I can’t pick one, but off the top of my head the tracks that continually work on the dancefloor are Remi Mazet “Paris Is Burning” Man Power remix, Justin Cudmore “Forget It” and Elliott Lion “Athens”. Although I’m sure if you asked me tomorrow I’d give you a different answer.
6) What is the last record you bought?
A load of old italo and new wave bits off Discogs including TC Matic “White Noise” .
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
No one in particular. I take little bits from here and there. I guess Youtube at the moment. It’s a great way to plunder the past and stumble upon some little known gems.
8) Who is your favourite DJ?
Of all time, I think Daniele Baldelli in his prime. I admire his inventiveness and bravery.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
I lived in Bucharest for 7 years and saw an alternative scene grow and flourish there. I think Camil (Holy Fix) is creating some interesting music now. Also I must give a shout out to Matthew Puffett as I was with him in Paris at the weekend and we had a great laugh. He’s a criminally underated producer who releases under various guises, but Future Beat alliance being the main one.
10) Favourite art besides music? Photography. William Eggleston is an idol.
11) Favourite writer / scientist / painter / philospher? Writers – Hubert Selby Jnr, Paul Auster, Bukowski, Marlon James. Scientists – no idea. Painters – The Hockney exhibition was pretty special. Philosopher – Emil Cioran.
12) Favourite out of genre music?
13) Favourite film score? I watched “The Conversation” the other day. That had a great soundtrack. I think it was by David Shire who also did a great job on The Taking of Pelham 123 (original release).
14) Favourite bit of kit? My Korg Polysix
15) Secret studio / DJ trick? Don’t get stoned.
16) Guilty Pleasure? Custard
17) One piece of music you can’t stand? The Housemartins “Happy Hour” cause I worked in a shop as a student and every Saturday they played it on rotation for an hour while they gave 10% off everything. Every fuckin Saturday!
18) Favourite way to unwind? Spliff in the bath.
19) If to live in a lost civilization or culture, which one would it be? In the jungle, with a cool tribe somewhere.
20) Blissful ignorance or harsh reality? Harsh Reality
21) What makes you smile? Compassion
22) Ultimate aspiration in life? To die smiling.