Mix number 16 in the Sinchi & Friends series comes from Johnny Wilson of Hypnotic Groove. We’ve been fans of his podcast series for some time and recently made our own mix for them. We’re delighted to also get Johnny involved in our series and you won’t be disappointed… track selections are some of the best we’ve had so far. Enjoy!
1) Who are you?
Hello, I’m Johnny Wilson, founder & one half of Scottish podcast, label & club night, Hypnotic Groove.
I’ve been DJ’ing since 2002 but only really took it more seriously in recent years.
2) How would you describe your sound?
Anything from Techno to Disco, House to Indie.
My roots are in Techno though.
3) What are your plans for 2016?
We have our next club night in a few weeks with Comeme’s Christian S coming up to Inverness on June 10th.
We also have some more label releases planned later this year.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
Antenna – Harpy Dance (the final track in the mix). It has everything for me! Just lovely.
5) What was the last record you bought?
Erotic Drum Band – Jerky Rhythm. Had never heard it before but heard it in a local second hand shop and thought it sounded really cool.
6) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months? (Include both one of your own and somebody else’s)
I don’t produce but a track from our label would have to be from our debut release, OpziO – “Special Ways”. It is probably the most chilled track of all the releases but it was our first and means a lot to us.
A track from somebody else would be Photonz – “Shadow Self”. A track I have played out a lot in the last year and always goes down a storm.
7) Late nights or early mornings? Early mornings
8) Choice of footwear? – Trainers, always.
9) Favourite way of getting a little wonky? Buckfast – The traditional Scottish refreshment!
10) Glass half full or half empty? Half full with the occasional empty moment.
11) Favourite film score? Trainspotting. Although some of the tracks are a little dated now, the film & soundtrack influenced me a lot as a teenager.
12) Future of electronic music? The future is now.. so many great and talented producers out there right now.
13) Blissful ignorance or cruel reality? A bit of both but mostly blissful ignorance.
14) A necessary evil… Coffee & Chocolate
15) Ultimate aspiration in life? – Being happy & content with life. I’m there right now!