We’re very happy to have Mateo aka Theus Mago join the Sinchi series. Mateo also known for being co-founder of record label Duro and also releasing music and performing under his Bufi moniker. As Theus Mago, he has a rich history of releases on labels such as correspondent, Ombra, La Dame Noir and Lumiere Noire amongst others. As you will read in the below interview, there is much more to come too.
1) Introduce yourself?
My name is Mateo González, I create music and DJ under the aliases Theus Mago and Bufi since the late 2000’s.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
Definitely my highlight was releasing an EP on one of my all-time favourite labels Optimo Music (EP is out now digitally and one of the tracks was released on vinyl through the same label).
Also touring Europe last April was remarkable, especially playing at Sisyphus Berlin.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
Another European tour in October / November, an EP on Pets Recordings as Theus Mago, an EP with Moderna on Side Up Works (with awesome remixes from Ewan Pearson, Justin Robertson and more), and a Bufi EP on Feines Tier that includes a killer remix from Curses.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
There’s a lot of unreleased music from me and also some collaborations on this mix. The “Whether” remix for Rico Puestel that will be released on TAU and it’s something I’m really quite proud of (second-to-last track).
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
That’s a tough one but I guess Kookoo Papa from Red Axes is one of my most played tracks. I should also mention Viene Viene from Los Mekanikos which I rediscovered last year and been playing a lot since then.
6) What is the last record you bought?
Charlotte Adigery – Paténipat
7) What is your number 1 go to track of all time?
The Hacker – Flesh and Bone
8) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
Chemical Brothers, Cómeme, New Order, Matias Aguayo, Suuns, Radiohead, Meridian Brothers, Clinic, Daniel Maloso, Mijo, Tiga, Sci Fi (specially Cyberpunk stuff), Soulwax, Caribou, DAF, Kraftwerk, Red Axes, acieeed… to name a few.
9) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
-TYU, one of our most talented members at DURO. He will definitely blow up sooner or later.
-Moisees, my label partner is building some serious sound lately.
-Max Jones, another soon to be member of DURO, will come back from the ashes after years of silence.
10) What is your favourite Venue or Festival to play at and why?
Opium at Vilnius is one of a kind, specially for those of you into that wavy psych-tribal sound. Thanks to Roe Deers and Bad Habits for having me there 2 times already!
11) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
Drinking mezcal straight from the bottle to loosen up!
12) What is your favourite film score?
‘There Will Be Blood’ by Johnny Greenwood.
13) What is your dream destination?
14) What makes you smile?