Next up we have Israeli rising star Niv Ast who is fast becoming one of our ‘go to’ producers. In a short time, releases have come thick and fast on a wide variety of labels from Correspondant, Ombra and Calypso amongst others. Plus an array of remixes, most recently reworking Roe Deers on Playground Records. Get to know the man behind the music via the short interview below and listen to his peach of a mix.
1) Introduce yourself?
My name is Niv Ast, I’m a producer and dj based in Tel-Aviv
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
This year has had so many highlights its hard to choose. I’ve had the pleasure of playing in a lot of cool places in Europe and met some great people, also being able to release my music on some amazing labels. I’m really grateful.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
Looking forward for my upcoming EP on Correspondant and another EP with Eliezer on our own label (New Day Everyday).
Also a lot of upcoming remixes and gigs, all over the world.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
I’d say ‘Rina – Peppermint Bouquet’
It was released recently on Calypso Records on an EP called ‘Tel-Aviv’ which I had the pleasure of being a part of too.
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
‘Eliezer – Love Is A Drug’
It’s a cover Eliezer did of Roxy Music and its amazing!
It was released on our label a few months ago as a free download.
6) What is the last record you bought?
I have no idea since it was a very long time ago haha
7) What is your number 1 go to track of all time?
France Gall – ella, elle l’a
8) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
I’m inspired by atmosphere, aesthetics, weirdness and nice people.
9)Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
Eliezer, Daniel Weil and Adrien Albou.
10) What is your favourite Venue or Festival to play at and why?
I’ve just played at Opium Club this month and I think it reached the top of the list very fast.
11) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or straight after?
Good food and a good amount of alcohol.
12) What is your favourite bit of kit?
Sampling everything and making it way weirder.
13) What is your favourite film score?
‘Do You Remember Dolly Bell?’ By Emir Kusturica
14) What is your dream destination?
15) What makes you smile?
I’m always smiling, so first you would have to take it off 😉