Number 32 in the series is No Strings Attached, Justin and Steve, friends since high school who have forged a great reputation as both dj’s and promoters, hosting their NSA parties in Edinburgh with amazing guests over the years. We love their style and reckon they’re two of the best track selectors around. Check out this beauty of a mix and gain a glimpse into their world ….
1) Introduce yourself?
Scottish DJ’s & Promoters No Strings Attached aka Steve Cass & Justin Wilson.
2) What have been your highlights from the last 12 months?
We had a great 2016 settling back into Edinburgh’s underground scene. All the parties we put on have been fantastic for many different reasons but it was a pleasure to have Optimo play for us for the first time.
3) What do you have lined up for the coming year?
We had a longer break than expected this Winter so we will be picking up our bi-monthly NSA presents again in Edinburgh’s Mash House kicking of with A Love From Outer Space on March 10th which has already sold out.
In May we celebrate 22 years of our club night which has lasted a lot longer than either of us anticipated and we have put together a very special line up to mark the occasion with Andrew Weatherall & Ivan Smagghe back to back all night long.
We will also be playing at this years Alfresco Festival in Tunbridge wells with a whole host of great acts, starting our irregular club at Sneaky Pete’s which is a really cool small space which we hope will have a similar intensity to the early parties we put on. We will be doing something for the Edinburgh Festival and then bringing up a few new acts to NSA before the year is out.
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now?
Justin – We have a few older tracks on there but Peza’s remix of Kieran Holden – The Science Of Plants hooked me the minute I heard it.
Steve – Billy Idol – Eyes Without a Face (Moscoman Edit)
5) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months?
Justin – Mugwump – At the dub front
Steve – Alien Alien – Armani
6) What is the last record you bought? – Vinyl it’s been a while, think it was something on eskimo records, Digital – V – Mon Vieil Amour
7) Who or what are your biggest musical influences?
Morgan Khan’s street sounds electro series was listened to fairly regularly when we were still at school as well as Scottish band Simple Minds & OMD.(Not forgetting Sam Fox & Sabrina’s massive hits)
8) Do you have a ritual before you start playing or
straight after? Big lines of cocaine before, during and after. (Only joking we usually share a couple of beers before we play) Steve likes the odd Whisky.
9) Who is your favourite DJ? Not including yourself 😉
Haules Baules aka Logan Fisher is bloody marvellous but you can see our favourites through the artists we continue to bring along to play at NSA as there are so many to only choose one.
10) Tell us about 3 DJ’s / Producer’s we may not know but should be looking out for?
You will be well aware of all these guys but here’s 3 to keep listening to
- Simple Symmetry
- Mr BC
11) Best advice for anyone coming into the scene, either as a Producer, DJ or Promoter?
Do what you believe in and don’t be too influenced by others. There will always be someone who will find you interesting and enjoy what you do
12) Do you think the gap between the mainstream and the underground is getting closer or further apart? Is this a good or bad thing?
Absolutely worlds apart, completely alien to each other and this can only be a good thing.
13) Due to developments in technology and software, there is so much which can be done to change a track to the tiniest detail, how much do you use this in your sets? Can too much technology be a bad thing?
We try to minimise the amount of effects we use as we really like to play a record and think it sounds pretty boring anyway when people go overkill with them.
Favourite painter? Scott Ormiston aka Omo – made a cracking job of my Living Room.
Favourite out of genre music? Reggae
Favourite film score? The Business
Guilty Pleasure? Casino (anywhere)
Bad DJ good records or Good DJ bad records? Bad DJ good records
Favourite way to unwind? Visiting our favourite local Indian haunt – The Shish Tandoori
What makes you smile? Seeing the NSA crowd caught in a moment is hard to top.