Number 30 in the Sinchi mix series is Bird of Paradise . He’s had a great run of productions over the last couple of years, with releases on Correspondant, Clouded Vision and Multi Culti standing out for us. Another great talent to come out of the NE of England in recent years and we’re sure there is much more to come… Hear from the man himself below.
1) Who are you? Jo Howard AKA Bird of Paradise AKA The Incredible Sulk
2) How would you describe your sound? Miserable for the most part, and generally over complicated.
3) What are your plans for 2016/17? Well considering it’s the tail end of the year, not a lot to end it apart from a few remixes. I’ve taken a little breather since my last E.P. on Nein so in 2017 you’ll see (hear) a lot of me again. (Whether you like it or not)
4) Which track in the mix is your favourite right now? Got to be Stove – Mr Mutu’s Final Flight, coming out on the first VA release of my own label very soon.
5) What was the last record you bought? It was a split on ‘Don’t Be Afraid’ that’s been out a while. I’ve been meaning to get it for ages. Its abstract machine funk stuff. The Max Mcferren track was what made me originally buy it.
6) What is your favourite track of the last 12 months? (Include both one of your own and somebody else’s) Within the last 12 months I’d say Sky Rostrum on Clouded Vision for me. For choosing someone elses, it’s really quite difficult as I love so much and have no attention span. The record I’ve played the most is Lauer – Birsk on ‘Futureboogie’ so I’ll go with that by default.
7) Late nights or early mornings? Late Nights
8) Choice of footwear? Anything with a mustard hue apart from sandals and flip flops. Agh.
9) Baggy or slim? Slim, but soon to be made baggy by my fat arse.
10) Favourite way of getting a little wonky? Glue
11) Secret studio trick ? Wouldn’t be a secret would it
12) Favourite mix of Oscillators? A Square with loads of pulse width and another pitched up square
13) Favourite writer / poet ? Kafka
14) Favourite out of genre music? Post Punk / Industrial
15) Glass half full or half empty? Half Empty
16) Do you fit in or fall out? Fall out
17) What do you see when you look in the mirror ? A bedraggled Princess Fiona from Shrek
18) What colour is 80 – 100 hz? Red (Meat)
19) 606 , 707 , 808 or 909 … Or something else ? DR660, Controversial
20) New piece of kit you like? New 303 boutique
21) Old piece of kit you like ? DX7
22) Favourite reverb ? Spring
23) Favourite film score? 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Vangelis, of course. It’s hard not to mention Carpenter though.
24) Future of electronic music? A dystopian hell pit.
25) Where / Is there a line between creativity and insanity? There isn’t.
26) Blissful ignorance or cruel reality? A good balance keeps you moderately sane.
27) If to live in a lost civilisation or culture, which one would it be? Egyptians, I could use that battery to plug my synths in.
28) How would your music have been perceived a century ago? Probably would have sold (more) records
29) How would your music be perceived a century in the future? A hipsters nectar, listened too whilst drinking IPA made out of human body fluid.
30) Ultimate aspiration in life? To keep creating until the spark goes out.